This effort is supported, in part, by a grant from 4Culture.
Contents
- Lady Willie Forbus
- Antonio Quiroga
- Thomas Foster
- The Nahhas, Arabolad, and Numair Women of Burke Avenue
- An Irish Rose in Wallingford: The Story of Margaret Denton O’Hare
- People & Places Spotlights
- From China to Wallingford: The Clarkson Family on 47th Street
- Bread & Basketball: The Buchan Family of Wallingford
- Wallingford’s First Multi-Family Housing Boom
The following stories are the result of our team of volunteer researchers who have combed through old newspapers, census records, and Polk directories to document the people and places of Wallingford. The places featured below are located in the Wallingford-Meridian Streetcar Historic District.
These stories are important and give context to both our neighborhood and city development. By researching the homes and commercial buildings’ past occupants, we can feel a little closer to understanding who came before us and imagine what it was like for them as they navigated everyday life.
Lady Willie Forbus
Posted February 2025
Written by Annie Doyon
Edited by Vanessa Chin
Many women resided within the Wallingford-Meridian Streetcar historic district in 1920, but only 23 were the heads of their households. One of those women was Lady Willie Forbus, a standout local and women’s historical figure, who rented the home at 4607 2nd Ave NE from its owner, Elizabeth Allen.
Forbus came from humble beginnings, born in 1892 to a sharecropper family in Mississippi. Though the family had little money, her mother fought to educate all six of her children. At the time, scholarships were not offered to women, so Forbus worked diligently to put herself through college. She graduated from the University of Mississippi and then attended law school at the University of Michigan, one of the few programs that accepted women. She made her way to developing Seattle, nearly on her last dime, with the hope of finding better opportunities than would be afforded to her back east. She was one of the first women in Seattle to practice law and for ten years she was the only woman in the city with her own practice, located at 309 Boston Block.
In 1922, Forbus made a name for herself taking on the Seattle Police Department to defend a widow’s pension. She unsuccessfully ran for prosecuting attorney in 1922 and Superior Court judge in 1932 and 1934. Then in 1943, she won her bid for state senate, being the first woman to serve in the 44th district.

Forbus was unique and progressive for her time. She married in 1921, keeping her maiden name, and had two children with hyphenated last names. While they remained good friends, Forbus and her husband eventually divorced. Forbus took their teenage children to Olympia, and while she served as a Senator, her children worked as a page and a secretary.
As a Senator, she was appointed chairwoman of the Judiciary Committee and sat on the Appropriations Committee. During her life she tirelessly advocated for women’s and children’s rights, leading the fight for the Child Labor Amendment in 1933. Having experienced economic and gender discrimination, she spent her life advocating for equal opportunity, equal pay for equal work, and bills that supported families, civil actions, healthcare, housing, and education.
As she got older, Forbus continued to be active in the community, often giving public speeches and setting up a scholarship fund at the University of Washington in her name. Forbus passed away in 1993 at the age of 100, still living in the Magnolia home she purchased in 1924 shortly after leaving Wallingford.
Sources:
Wallingford-Meridian Streetcar Historic District Nomination Report
1920 U.S. Census
Forbus, Lady Willie (1892-1993) – HistoryLink.org
Lady Willie Forbus Women in the Legislature Member Bio Fact Sheet
Lady Willie Forbus Women in the Legislature Webpage
A Century of Vision – Seattle Times Article
Antonio Quiroga
Posted February 2025
Written by Annie Doyon
Edited by Vanessa Chin
In 1922, young businessman Antonio Quiroga moved to Seattle to serve as the Consul of Bolivia, taking up residence in a 1913 Craftsman at 1709 N 47th St with his Argentinian wife Maria Cristina Lorena de Quiroga. Like many other Wallingford professionals, Quiroga commuted downtown for work, as his office was in the Smith Tower. The couple soon had a daughter, and the family remained in Wallingford during the 1920s.

Though neither Antonio nor Maria spoke English upon their arrival, Antonio was quoted in the news declaring, “el ciudad es perfectamente,” (the city is perfect). With the help of his predecessor acting as translator, Quiroga expressed that both he and his wife intended to learn English so they could converse with the friends they had already made, and more that they hoped to become acquainted with.
During his time as Consul, the news highlighted Quiroga receiving word of his nation’s Centennial, as Bolivia celebrated its anniversary of independence from Peru. Festivities included an international industrial exposition for all nations to participate in. In 1926, Antonio was succeeded as Consul by J. Landivar Moreno.
The family’s story represents the diverse range of social history and immigrant stories found within the Wallingford-Meridian Streetcar historic district. During the period when the Quirogas lived in Wallingford, nearly half of the heads of households listed in the U.S. Census were born abroad, including in Northern and Western Europe, Syria, Russia, and China.
Sources:
Wallingford-Meridian Streetcar Historic District Nomination Report
1920 and 1930 U.S. Census
Seattle Times Article, August 9, 1926
Seattle Times Article, August 8, 1925
Seattle Times Article, September 10, 1922
Thomas Foster
Posted February 2025
Written by Annie Doyon
Edited by Vanessa Chin
Originally from Washington DC, Thomas Foster lived in a newly built Craftsman home at 4538 Thackeray Pl NE while working as an agent for the U.S. Secret Service. Despite having only six years of experience as an agent in Portland and San Francisco, Foster took over as chief of the Northwest Secret Service office in 1907, succeeding Captain Bushrod W. Bell at his retirement.
Foster was credited in the news on several occasions for his tireless work battling counterfeit money, pursuing some forgers for months or even years. He was even once involved in the active pursuit of two women who aided the escape of a suspected forger, and later in his career arrested a janitor for robbing the bank where he was employed.
Foster also carried out the type of duties often associated with the Secret Service, like protecting the U.S. President. (He was a key member of the security detail when President Taft visited Seattle in 1909.) Though Foster worked in Seattle for a number of years, he no longer lived in the Wallingford house by the time of the 1930 U.S. Census and by 1938 had returned to San Francisco as the district supervisor of their Secret Service headquarters.
Sources:
Wallingford-Meridian Streetcar Historic District Nomination Report
1920 and 1930 U.S. Census
Various Seattle Times and Post Intelligencer Articles
The Nahhas, Arabolad, and Numair Women of Burke Avenue
Posted March 2024
By Vanessa Chin
Listed as sisters in a Seattle Times obituary, Annie Nahhas, Maude (Wadia) Arabolad, and Marie Numair purchased and transferred land between each other to build their family homes on what would become the 4700 block of Burke Avenue. Having all immigrated from Syria in the 1890s, the sisters and their respective husbands, Nemer, George, and Nicholas, began to form connections to their newfound community. By 1910, their homes were constructed at 4710, 4714, and 4718 Burke Ave, and the families had opened a grocery store together. During this time, Marie gave birth to a daughter, Freda. Tragically, both Maude and Marie passed away within the next decade while still in their early 30s. George and their two young daughters seemed to have moved away in 1913, and Nicholas, now a tailor, remarried in 1920 to a young New Zealand woman of Syrian descent named Effie.
Possibly because her sisters died so young, Annie spent her life spreading awareness about the lives of Syrian women. Throughout her life, Annie was a guest speaker at multiple church groups and women’s club meetings to educate them about Syrian culture, often dressing in traditional clothing and singing with her daughters Sadie, Waslea, Emilen, and Adel. Both Nemer and Annie gave talks on oriental rugs, which they sold and cleaned at their import shop, and were involved in raising money for relief aid to send overseas to Syrians, who at the time were enduring hardship under Turkish rule. When Nemer died in 1925, Annie took over operating the trading company, even winning a lawsuit with the help of her youngest daughter where a customer was suing for damage to a rug during cleaning. After living in Seattle for 53 years, Annie passed away at the age of 81, having watched her daughters and niece grow up to become their own successful women.
The Nahhas Sisters
Born between 1895 and 1905 in Iowa and California, the Nahhas girls were children when their parents purchased land and built a home in the still sparsely populated Wallingford area. Sadie, being the oldest, helped out at the family import business located on Pine Street. As a teenager, Emmeline was featured in a playlet set in Armenia, and the Nahhas’ helped furnish the set with their imported goods.
All four daughters accompanied their mother on several occasions to perform Syrian songs and hymns for various church and community groups to raise awareness of Syrian customs and living conditions. In the late 1910s and early 1920s, Sadie was entertaining with vocal solos at Y.W.C.A. fellowship meetings, Sunday school, and church Christmas programs. Emmeline graduated from Lincoln High School in 1921, followed by Adele in 1924. By this time, Waslea was no longer living with the family, and it is uncertain what had happened to her.
In 1924, Sadie married Jesse Ogdon, who worked for U.S. Customs, at the family home on Burke Ave. It doesn’t seem like they had any children, but they were very involved in their communities and became important members of their local Masonic chapter.
Emmeline attended college and worked as a teacher for King County schools. In 1929, she married Howard Johnson, a life insurance salesman. They moved into a home on N 49th St and had two children, Gerald and Paula. By 1940, Annie had moved in with her daughter’s family; at some point, the Johnsons moved to Olympia.
While all of the Nahhas girls were performers, Adele stood out. Beginning in the mid-1920s, she sang during a radio broadcast of the First Presbyterian Church morning worship service and as a solo act on other radio programs. She also sang as part of a concert at the New Washington Hotel and at several weddings. By the late 1930s, she had become a member of the Nordica Choral Club, a vocal organization for young female singers in business and professional fields. She became chairwoman of the membership committee, screening voice tests for hopeful members, and by 1937, she was voted Club President. Later that year, Adele married pianist and choir master Kenneth Lyman. Kenneth worked as a school music teacher while Adele stayed home to raise their two daughters, Mary and Kendel, in a home on Woodlawn Ave.
Freda Henry Numair
Freda was born in Seattle to Syrian immigrants Nicholas and Marie Numair in 1909, shortly after the family built their home at 4710 N Burke Ave alongside Marie’s sisters, Annie and Maude.
Freda spent her childhood at that home and moved two doors down to live with her aunt Annie and cousin Adele around 1930. At the time, Freda was working as a stenographer at a clothing store. Like her cousins, Freda also assisted in giving talks and performances on Syrian culture. In 1916, she assisted Princess Rahme Haider in delivering her “Under Syrian Stars” address during a First Baptist Church service.
Unlike her cousins, Freda’s talent seemed to lie more within the written rather than spoken (or sung) word. Freda received most of her schooling from Hunter College in New York City, and in the early 1930s, she worked as a stylist and advertising writer for a Seattle department store. In 1933, Freda became one of the editors and a woman “with a constructive purpose” for a new magazine, The Nor’wester, which was of, by, and for the Northwest, featuring cover art by Northwest artists, local contributors, and suggested books from local authors. The following year, she was appointed as a board member to the Woman’s Century Club to focus on publicity, just before moving to Portland to become a copywriter for a large department store.
By 1937, Freda had moved to San Francisco, where she worked as a copywriter for a local newspaper. That September, she served as the only bridesmaid at her cousin Adele’s wedding. Later that year, she returned to Seattle, accepting an advertising position at a local department store before being honored by Gamma Alpha Chi for her “outstanding work in the [advertising] profession.”
In 1941, Freda married William Henry, and they had two children. In her 2006 obituary, Freda was lovingly described as having “an unquenchable zest for life, eternal optimism, and sharp wit”, with self-made businesswoman and beloved mother listed as two of her many life achievements.
Sources:
U.S. Census Records
Puget Sound Regional Archives
Seattle Times & Seattle Post-Intelligencer Newspaper Archives
Washington State Archives
An Irish Rose in Wallingford: The Story of Margaret Denton O’Hare
Posted March 17, 2022
By Vanessa Chin
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Today we’d like to highlight the story of one of Wallingford’s Irish immigrant residents, Margaret Denton O’Hare.
Margaret Healy was born in Ireland around 1886 and immigrated to the United States in 1908. By 1909, she had married James Edward Denton from Illinois who was employed as a streetcar driver. In 1910, the couple were living in a rented home at 322 Taylor St., possibly near the future site of the Space Needle. By the following year, the couple had a son, James Taylor Denton. In 1916, the couple purchased a home in Wallingford at 4608 Corliss Ave N. However, the Dentons did not seem to have had the chance to live in the home together, as James died in 1917 at the age of 39 from heart inflammation and was listed as living at 4904 Rainier Ave. Margaret seemed to have moved into the home, but by the following year, she was living in the parish house at St. Benedict’s Church as a housekeeper. It’s uncertain where her son, James, was living at during this time.

In 1922, Margaret remarried, this time to fellow Irish immigrant John J. O’Hare, who was a steelworker and had come to Seattle two years prior. They lived in the home on Corliss for a short time, before living in Kirkland in 1924, where John worked as a laborer for Young Iron Works, and the couple had two children- Kathleen and Robert. The family moved to Riverton Heights by 1930, just north of the present-day SeaTac airport. John worked as a cement factory laborer and Margaret’s son James worked as a general helper at an airplane factory, possibly at Boeing’s famous Red Barn.
By 1935, the O’Hare family moved back to the house on Corliss, which had been used as a rental property while they were away. James began a career as a teacher and lived in the home for just a few years before marrying Marjorie Goss in 1938; he later became Principal of Denny Jr. High. Margaret and John seemed to have had a complicated relationship, as they divorced by 1940, only to get remarried in 1948. During this time, Margaret was one of only four women in the area that was a divorced head of household, and she supported her two younger children by doing housework at a private home. The O’Hares continued to live in the home on Corliss, including daughter Kathleen who had also become a teacher, until at least 1958, when John passed away.
Margaret’s story shows the resiliency and strength it took to be not only an immigrant woman in the early 20th century, but also a widowed and later divorced mother. With limited options, she was able to carry on through multiple losses and still provide for her children by cleaning others’ homes and renting out her own home. As we continue to uncover the stories of Wallingford’s past immigrant, working class, and women residents, it not only allows us to share a more complete history of the neighborhood, but also serves to inspire us today.
Sources:
U.S. Census: 1910-1940
Polk City Directories
Seattle Post-Intelligencer Newspaper Archives
Puget Sound Regional Archives
HistoryLink.org
Washington Digital Archives
People & Places Spotlights
Posted February 12, 2022
By Vanessa Chin
For this first spotlight, we’re featuring the Craftsman home at 4916 Woodlawn Ave N. Built sometime between 1906 and 1911, it is a contributing building in our proposed National Register of Historic Places District Nomination.
As you can see in the photos, not much has changed by way of character-defining features on the outside of the home in the last 11 decades. Through our research of the Polk City Directories and the U.S. Census, we know of four different families that lived in the home between 1916 and 1960. The longest residing family between that time was an immigrant family from Russia who moved into the home by 1919. Lewis Savage, a car factory watchman, and his wife Anna had both immigrated from Russia in the late 1880s, and had made their way to Washington from Pennsylvania by 1901.
In 1920, the couple lived in the home with their adult sons Lewis, an auto mechanic, Joseph, and William, daughter Anna, boarder Jeanne Shreve, an office worker at a dry goods store, and Lewis’ cousin Anthony Kaumas, a lumber laborer. Anthony Kaumas moved out by 1925 and roomer Stanley Bashin (possibly Anna’s brother), a divorced Lithuanian immigrant and tailor moved in. Lewis Sr. passed away by 1929 and the following year Anna was living in the home with her sons Joseph, now a clerk at the electric company, and William, a railroad mail depot worker, daughter Anne, a law office stenographer, and Stanley Bashin. According to the Polk City Directories, the family stayed in the home until at least 1935.
For our second spotlight, we’re highlighting the Nahhas family who lived at 4718 Burke Avenue N and sharing a few Christmas advertisements that were placed in the Seattle Daily Times and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer between 1917 and 1926 by the Nahhas Company.
The Nahhas family was one of four Syrian families that moved onto the 4700 block of Burke Avenue in the 1910s and 1920s. Nemer and his wife Annie immigrated to the United States from Syria in the early 1890s and by 1910 had made their way to Seattle via California. They then purchased the newly built home at 4718 N Burke Avenue where they lived with their four young daughters Sadie, Waslea, Emilen, and Adel until about 1935. Before opening his imported goods store at 302 Pine Street, Nemer worked as a grocer at a store run by himself and two of his neighbors, who were also Syrian immigrants. Both Nemer and Annie gave talks on oriental rugs, which they sold and cleaned at their shop and were involved in raising money for relief aid to send overseas to Syrians, who at the time were enduring hardship under Turkish rule. Annie Nahhas dedicated much of her time to giving lectures and performances on Syrian traditions and customs, as well as current living conditions to the Y.W.C.A., the Seattle Federation of Women’s Clubs, the Seattle Business Girls’ Club, and various Church groups.
Lastly, our third spotlight is this Colonial Revival-style home at 4717 Meridian Avenue, built between 1920 and 1923. As you can see in the photos posted below, the house has had some alterations over the years. Through our research of the Polk City Directories and the U.S. Census, we discovered the story of Florence Teitgen, a graduate of Northwestern University who worked as one of the city’s few women dentists for 35 years. Teitgen purchased this home shortly after it was built around 1924. Florence did not always live in the home and actually rented it out between 1930 and 1933 to several short-term residents including a UW student, a couple clerks, a salesman, a superintendent, a repeaterman, and a civil engineer. From about 1935, Florence’s daughter, Linda Estelle, lived in the home with her husband until their divorce prior to 1940, when according to the U.S. Census, Florence had moved back in. She died in 1951.
Do you have a story to contribute? Email us at info@historicwallingford.org.
From China to Wallingford: The Clarkson Family on 47th Street
Posted June 20, 2021
By Vanessa Chin and Sarah Martin
Editor’s note: Historic Wallingford’s ongoing research into the people and places that have shaped Wallingford is revealing a wonderful tapestry of stories that are reflected in the dwellings, shops, parks, and streetscapes of today’s neighborhood. Mathilda Clarkson was first revealed to us in the 1930 U.S. census, which listed her as a widowed mother of four – all born in China. The following account remembers the Clarkson family who lived in the small Craftsman bungalow at 1422 N. 47th Street for nearly 20 years.
In May 1921 Mathilda Clarkson, a 35-year-old widow, and her four children boarded the SS Kashima Maru at Kobe, Japan, bound for Seattle. They joined her father, Mans Hellstrand, a retired customs agent and native of Sweden, who had boarded the ship at Hong Kong just days earlier. The family was immigrating to the United States after a lifetime in China and Japan. It is not clear what motivated their relocation, but perhaps the death of Mathilda’s husband, Charles Clarkson, Sr., a British national, in 1917 and the increasing social and political tensions in northern China and Russia during this period were factors.
Mathilda was born in Shanghai, China, in 1886 to a Swedish father and Japanese mother, Mans and Sumi (Sudzuki) Hellstrand. Her father worked for the Imperial Maritime Custom Service for many years in various Chinese port cities. Little is known about her mother. Mathilda married Charles, and the couple had four children while living in Guangzhou, then a British treaty port city called Canton: Charles (b. 1906), John (b. 1908), Kristina (b. 1909), and Arthur (b. 1911). The family was living in Tientsin, today’s Tianjin, in 1917, when Charles, Sr., left for Seattle, perhaps in preparation for the family’s immigration. He died en route at Shimonoseki, Japan. Mathilda and her family persevered and immigrated to Seattle three-and-a-half years later.
Mathilda arrived with $7,000 in her possession and presumably used it to purchase the family’s home in Wallingford at 1422 N. 47th Street. The Clarksons lived there until 1940, when Mathilda purchased a house at 5104 Greenwood Avenue N., a block west of Woodland Park. While living in Wallingford, all of Mathilda’s children graduated from Lincoln High School between 1925 and 1931. Arthur, her youngest child, attended Hamilton Intermediate School (now Hamilton International Middle School) during its first years after opening in 1927. The Clarksons participated in community and school activities that earned them mentions in the local newspapers. For example, Arthur was a member of Wallingford Boy Scout Troop 146, becoming Scoutmaster and winning a council award in 1941.
Charles attended the University of Washington, ultimately graduating from the University of Minnesota. He was drafted into the U.S. Army and served during World War II from 1942 to 1946. After high school, John eventually settled in West Seattle and worked for the National Bank of Commerce downtown and later for the State Department of Labor. Like his brother Charles, Arthur attended the University of Minnesota and served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Kristina attended one year of college, but was unable to work and lived with her mother until Mathilda’s death in 1969. Kristina died a few years later.
Mathilda Clarkson and her children were among the very few immigrants from Asia living in Wallingford in the 1930s and 1940s. Their biracial background and British surname likely afforded them opportunities unavailable to other Asian immigrants, such as where they could live. We would appreciate knowing more about the Clarksons and their experiences navigating day-to-day life in Wallingford during that time. Do you have a similar story to share? Let us know at info@historicwallingford.org.
Sources:
1930 and 1940 U.S. Census
Polk City Directories
Seattle Times and Seattle Post-Intelligencer Newspaper Archives
Puget Sound Regional Archives
HistoryLink.org
Washington Digital Archives
Bread and Basketball: The Buchan Family of Wallingford
Posted April 10, 2021
By Vanessa Chin and Sarah Martin
Special thanks to Alec Buchan for sharing his family’s photographs.
Wallingford in the early 20th century was full of families who ran small businesses, and the Buchans are just one example of the rich patchwork of stories our research is spotlighting. This immigrant family from Scotland built the Buchan Baking Company, known not only for its delicious bread but also for its championship basketball team – the Buchan Bakers.

George and Lizzie Buchan (pictured at right) immigrated to the United States with their two children, George Jr. and Elizabeth M. in April 1902. By 1910, the growing family, which now included daughter Bella, lived in Wallingford at 1423 N. 47th Street (pictured below), along with George’s brothers, Andrew and William. The Buchan family lived in this home until about 1920, when George and Lizzie purchased the home at 1422 N. 46th Street (pictured at right and below), where they would live for many years. George’s brother William and his wife Flora continued to rent the home on 47th Street until 1922 when George Jr. took ownership of the property. In 1930, Bella and her husband Theodore, who worked as a salesman for the baking company, purchased the home and lived there for the next eight years.
George had worked as a baker in Scotland and found a job at a bakery in Buckley where he commuted by train and came home on weekends. His hard work paid off, and by 1919, George opened his own business, the Buchan Baking Company, in downtown Seattle. The Buchan Baking Company built a new plant in south Wallingford at 1601 N. 34th Street in 1925, a building that until recently still functioned as a bakery (pictured at the end). George Jr. eventually took on the thriving business, and in 1951, the Polk directory listed six Buchan family members working for the company: George Jr., his sons George C., Ian D., and Robin as well as John and William.





In 1948, the Buchan Baking Company was asked by Warren Bud Howard to sponsor his basketball team in the Northwest Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) League. The Buchan Bakers played for 13 seasons and won the National AAU Championship in 1956, beating the famed Phillips 66ers in the title game. The Bakers also won the Northwest AAU title six times and toured overseas as part of US State Department-sponsored exchanges. To see video clips and to learn more about this championship basketball team and its place in Seattle sports history, visit BuchanBakers.com.
The Buchan Baking Company grew to include factories in Tacoma and Bellingham, until 1966 when the company was purchased by Oroweat.
Sources:
Buchan Bakers Website: http://buchanbakers.com/history.html
Buchan’s Bread Website: https://www.buchansbread.com
City of Seattle Historic Resources Survey Database.
Polk City Directories
US Census, 1910 to 1940
Everything Old is New Again: Wallingford’s First Multi-family Housing Boom
Posted March 14, 2021
Multi-family housing was an important feature of early 20th-century Wallingford. There were apartment blocks, stacked flats, and court apartments all within close proximity to the streetcar lines along Wallingford Avenue, 40th and 45th Streets, and Meridian Avenue. Like today’s buses, the streetcars connected Wallingford to downtown, making the area an affordable and convenient place to live.
One real estate firm, in particular, focused on multi-family housing in the late 1920s. The Landon Real Estate Company, incorporated by W. J. (Jack) and Verah Landon in August 1927, built multi-family residences within sight of their office at 1901 N 45th Street, where they remained for more than 40 years.
The Landon Real Estate Co. developed three 19-unit apartment blocks along 46th Street and Burke Avenue. Landon hired architect H. B. McKnight to design an apartment block at 4515 Burke Avenue N. It opened in 1928 as the Landon Arms apartments and featured 19 “ultra-modern apartments,” with two-, three-, and four-room units. Landon’s Verah Apartments, at 1903 N 46th Street, opened in 1929. This three-story brick structure contained six two-room and 13 three-room suites. It cost $85,000 to build and contained the latest conveniences, including refrigeration and an electric stove, a wall radio, and oil burner heating (Seattle Post-Intelligencer 5/11/1929). Landon completed a third multi-family block in late 1929, the Jack-Lan Apartments, at 1911 N. 46th Street. This three-story building had 13 three-room and six two-room suites (Seattle Times 10/27/1929).
Shortly after opening, the monthly rents in these buildings ranged from $40 to $65. Tenants recorded in the 1930 census included both young and older married couples and multi-generational family groups. They included native Washingtonians, transplants from all over the U.S, and also German-, Norwegian-, and French-speaking immigrants. The occupations of residents included traffic officer, doctor office assistant, telephone operator, teacher, pharmacist, salesman, watchman, baker, deep sea fisherman, clerk, laborer, chiropractor, and millworker. The Landons themselves lived in the Jack-Lan Apartments for many years.
These apartment blocks are nearing 100 years old and remain an important part of the Wallingford landscape. They are just three examples of several 1920s-era multi-family residences in the neighborhood, and they remind us of the variety of people who have called Wallingford home.